Providing technical and administrative support to all Ministries and Government Departments in the management of funds on behalf of the Minister of Finance in the discharge of his responsibility for fiscal policy formulation and administration. The division has responsibility for the provision of leadership and advice to client Ministries and Departments to facilitate achievement of stated outcomes.
An integrated knowledge based, proactive organization responsible for Government’s Budgetary process.
The work of the Budget Division within the Ministry of Finance is derived from the responsibilities assigned to the Minister with responsibility for finance under Section 113(1) of the Constitution and the Exchequer and Audit Act, Chapter 69:01.
Section 113(1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago mandates that:
“The Minister responsible for finance shall cause to be prepared and laid before the House of Representatives before or no later than thirty (30) days after the commencement of each financial year, estimates of revenues and expenditure of Trinidad and Tobago for that year.”
The Exchequer and Audit Act, Chapter 69:01:
“The Minister shall subject to the Constitution and this Act, have the management of the Consolidated Fund and the supervision, control and direction of all matters relating to the financial affairs of the State, which are not by law assigned to any other Minister.”
In assisting the Minister of Finance in the discharge of this responsibility, the Budget Division is responsible for the preparation, administration, control and post evaluation of the annual Estimates of Revenue and Expenditure.
Roles and Functions
The Budget Division is managed by a Director and is comprised of a number of Sections/Units as indicated hereunder: –
- Revenue Section – In addition to the preparation, administration, monitoring and review of the annual Estimates of Revenue, this Section is engaged in the following activities: –
- the appointment of Receivers of Revenue;
- preparation of comments on Notes for Cabinet on matters affecting Government’s revenue;
processing applications involving Government’s revenue requiring the approval of the Minister of Finance or Cabinet, e.g. applications for waiver of duties and taxes;
- the creation of Items of Revenue;
- the grant of Special (Liquor) Licences;
- the grant of charitable status for charitable organisations and sporting bodies; and
- the award of approvals for Bingos and Raffles.
- Expenditure Section is divided into three (3) strategically functional Units, these are:
- Unit A-D, deals with Law and Order, Justice, Security and General Public Services and is responsible for preparation, administration, control and post evaluation of the Recurrent and Capital Expenditure Estimates of Ministries and Departments and Statutory Boards such as: President, Office of the Prime Minister, National Security, Judiciary, Attorney General and Legal Affairs, Auditor General, Service Commissions, Parliament, Finance, National Lotteries Control Board and the Tobago House of Assembly.
- Unit E, deals with planning, urban development and infrastructure works and is responsible for preparation, administration, control and post evaluation of the Recurrent and Capital Expenditure Estimates of Ministries and Departments and Statutory Boards such as: Housing, Works and Transport, Planning and Development, Public Utilities, Rural Development and Local Government, Water and Sewerage Authority, Land Settlement Agency and Local Government Bodies.
- Unit F&G, deals with Social Sectors, Foreign Affairs, Energy and Trade related matters and is responsible for preparation, administration, control and post evaluation of the Recurrent and Capital Expenditure Estimates of Ministries and Departments and Statutory Boards such as: Health, Education, Social Development and Family Services, Community Development, Tourism, Culture and the Arts, Trade and Industry, Foreign and CARICOM Affairs, Energy and Energy Industries, Cipriani Labour College and the Blind Welfare Association.
- Computer Section – This section is responsible for data entry and the generation of relevant computerized reports produced by the National Budget Information System (NBIS) in relation to the preparation, administration and post evaluation of the Estimates.
- Finance Committee/FAC/ Funds, this Unit is pivotal to the operational activities of the Division and is tasked with the preparation of Appropriation Bills and Warrants, as well as, the management of Special Funds such as the Infrastructure Development Fund, GATE, Green Fund, Contingencies Fund and Heritage and Stabilisation Fund. Further the Unit conducts research and submits comments on Notes referred from the Finance and General Purpose Committee of the Cabinet.
- Human Resources, Training and Statistics Unit – This Unit also oversees the Human Resource and Training functions for the Division. This Unit prepares and analyses statistical reports pertinent to the annual budget and Central Government’s fiscal operations. Reports are prepared for both internal and external stakeholders.
Level 9&10, Finance Building
Eric Williams Financial Complex
Port of Spain
Telephone: (868) 612-9700 exts. 4018 / 4044-4046